Oral Roberts University student Julianna Sherman received a 2015 Portz Fellowship based on her study of breast cancer cells. Her research has potential to reveal new treatments for individuals with breast cancer. Sherman competed against undergraduate students from honors programs and colleges across the United States.Read More >>
College of Science & Engineering
Exploring God's Creation from a Scientific Perspective
The ORU College of Science and Engineering encompasses five departments including Behavioral Science; Biology and Chemistry; Engineering; Computing and Mathematics; and Health Physical Education and Recreation. Through its own unique approach, each department gives you the opportunity to discover God's natural world and thereby enlarge your Christian worldview. Rarely will you find such an opportunity to receive a Christ-centered education in areas often considered difficult degree areas while surrounded by such cooperative, caring and intellectually inquisitive students and faculty.
Interesting facts about the College of Science and Engineering include:
- Over the past 10 years, we have had an overall acceptance rate into medical schools of 68% compared to the national acceptance rate last year of 45%. Our students with a GPA of 3.6+ had an acceptance rate of 86%, and the acceptance rate of our honor students was an impressive 99%. Our graduates have attended over 80 medical schools.
- You'll be taught by professors who are exceptional scholars and dedicated classroom teachers. All are recognized for academic excellence and have experience working in the field. Many have active research projects underway.
- You'll enjoy small classes that allow you to get to know your professors well and benefit from one-on-one attention. The average student to professor ratio in our classes is 13:1.
- Our faculty research includes studies in aquatic biology, marine biology, human anatomy and physiology, neuroscience, environmental stewardship, entomology, bioethics, immunology, microbiology, molecular biology, genetics, histology, fluid dynamics, image processing and wireless communication.
- You may have the opportunity to participate in research with a faculty member and share your insights when it is presented in the classroom.
MATH, SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING SUMMER ACADEMY
Oral Roberts University will be hosting a math, science and engineering summer academy, June 5 - 9, 2017. The academic program will give eighth and ninth grade students an opportunity to better understand the natural world and develop critical thinking skills through a series of integrated, project-based learning experiences.
“We are excited to explore the many facets of math, science and engineering with the talented students attending ORU’s Summer Academy,” said John Matsson, chair of the ORU engineering department. “We have worked hard to ensure the Summer Academy combines the best mix of on and off campus learning experiences. We plan to visit the Mounds Observatory, the Oxley Nature Center and the Tulsa Air and Space museum as well as conducting experiments, including a model rocket launch.”
Summer academy students will learn from ORU’s distinguished professors including Joel Gaikwad, chair of biology and chemistry; Dominic Halsmer, professor of engineering; Catherine Klehm, associate professor of chemistry; John Korstad, professor of biology; Andrew Lang, chair of computing and mathematics; and Matsson.
On August 19, 2017 ORU will host a summer academy summit for students and faculty to reconnect, ask questions and discuss learning objectives.
For more information about the ORU Math, Science and Engineering Summer Academy contact Matsson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply for the ORU Math, Science and Engineering Summer Academy, please fill out the application.