Transfer Resources

Transfer students face unique challenges when selecting a new school at which to complete their education. A primary consideration is the transferability of the courses already taken. This page is designed to aid you in understanding and expediting your transfer to Oral Roberts University. Your goals--immediate and long-term--are important. Let us assist you to prepare to reach them.

Undergraduate Transfer Information

Transfer Guidelines
Accrediting Institutions
Credit and Placement Examinations
Dual Credit
International Baccalaureate Credit Equivalency Chart
Transcripts: Final and Official
Transfer of Credit
Transfer of Foreign Credit
Transfer Petition Procedure

Accrediting Institutions

ORU accepts liberal arts courses from regionally accredited institutions. ORU accepts courses from schools accredited by the International Christian Accrediting Association (ICAA), the Association for Biblical Higher Education (ABHE), the Association of Theological Schools (ATS), and the Oklahoma State Regents for Higher Education. Articulation agreements between ORU and ICAA institutions regarding the transfer of credit are administered according to the ICAA Articulation Program.

Technical or vocational courses are not ordinarily credited toward the liberal arts degree. No credit is given for any course with less than a "C" level grade. Transfer credits from institutions that are not regionally accredited may be accepted on the same basis they are accepted by the reporting institution in their own state. ORU may accept courses demonstrated as acceptable to at least three recognized accredited institutions.

Certification, diploma, associate degree and other pre-bachelor degree programs issued by institutions not accredited by regional accrediting agencies are not accepted for block credit. Courses in these programs may be evaluated individually according to ORU credit transfer policies.

Credit and Placement Examinations

Credit granted through Advanced Placement (AP), the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), or the General Certificate Examination (GCE) "A" level examinations and credit transferred from regionally accredited institutions appear on student transcripts as accepted credit regardless of whether the student graduated from ORU.

ORU accepts the Advanced Placement examinations for credit toward an undergraduate degree. Scores of "3" or higher are accepted on all AP subject examinations, with the decision on placement and amount of credit being made by the Registrar's Office in consultation with the department chair concerned.

ORU accepts the CLEP subject examinations. Students should contact the Admissions Office at 918-495-6518 or 800.678.8876 for information about acceptable tests and scores.

A maximum of 60 semester hours may be granted through both the AP and CLEP programs. Credit may be granted for AP and CLEP examinations taken after students have matriculated with any college or university, provided they have not taken the corresponding course at the college level.
Transcripts submitted to ORU become the property of ORU and are stored in a student's permanent file. They cannot be copied or reissued except for on-campus advisement purposes, in which case the documents are delivered directly to academic departments.

Dual Credit

Policy: A freshman applicant will be defined as one who has earned fewer than 15 college credit hours after high school graduation. A transfer applicant will be defined as one who has earned 15 or more college credit hours after high school graduation.
College credit hours will be eligible for transfer credit in accordance with the ORU Transfer Guidelines if the hours were earned at a regionally accredited institution or otherwise recognized institution.

College credits earned prior to high school graduation that are eligible for transfer credit as ORU 100 and 200 level courses will automatically be transferred in. College credits earned prior to high school graduation that would transfer in as ORU 300 and 400 level courses, including general elective credit, will be eligible for transfer credit by Petition for Policy Exception only. Transfer credit of 100 and 200 level courses will be awarded regardless of whether the hours were earned before or after high school graduation. Only the 300 and 400 level courses taken prior to high school graduation must be reviewed through the petition process.

Eligibility for academic awards will be linked to applicant type. Freshman applicants are eligible for academic awards based on their high school grade point average and standardized test scores. Transfer applicants are eligible for academic awards based on their cumulative college grade point average.

Policy Exceptions: Students who have matriculated prior to Fall 2000 will be allowed to submit a Petition for Policy Exception requesting transfer credit for college credit hours earned prior to high school graduation. Requests for adjustments to previous academic award decisions will not be entertained.

International Baccalaureate Credit Equivalency Chart

Oral Roberts University awards college credit to students who successfully complete courses in the International Baccalaureate Diploma program. Students should request an official International Baccalaureate transcript be sent to the Oral Roberts University Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Transcripts: Final and Official

What constitutes an official transcript?
The transcript must be sent to the Admissions Department at ORU directly from the Registrar or Records Office of the previous school(s). The transcript may not be hand carried by the student or any third party.
What makes a transcript unofficial?
A transcript is deemed unofficial if it is "issued to student," hand carried by the student or third party, unsealed, missing the Registrar's signature or missing a school seal, if required.
Can a transcript be official and not final?
A transcript is considered official if it is sent from the Registrar or Records Office of the previous school(s) directly to the Admissions Department at ORU. If the student is currently enrolled in the other school when the transcript is sent, the transcript will reflect a current enrollment and an indication of unassigned grades. The transcript, although official, is not final.
When is a transcript(s) both final and official?
The transcript is OFFICIAL and FINAL when it is sent directly to the Admissions Department at ORU from the Registrar or Records Office of the previous school(s) and all courses have assigned grades.

Transfer of Credit

Transfer credit is based on the Transfer Guidelines established by ORU (a copy is available on request). Courses that do not have an ORU equivalent but are academic in nature are counted as elective credit unless transferred in to meet a specific requirement through written approval from the degree-granting dean.
Students who have matriculated at ORU and desire to take courses offered at other institutions must receive prior written approval to transfer the courses to ORU for degree credit. Approvals should be in writing from the degree-granting dean. Dean's approvals are also necessary if students desire to be enrolled concurrently at other institutions while enrolled at ORU. A maximum of 64 semester hours of junior college and 98 credit hours from a four year institution may be transferred to ORU. The last 30 semester hours of a degree program, including at least six hours in the major field and the senior thesis, must be taken at ORU.
Credit earned in military service schools or through the U.S. Armed Forces institute is reviewed by the Registrar's Office. Credit may be granted if approved by petition. Basic Military Training meets the ORU general education requirements for Health Fitness I & II.

Transfer of Foreign Credit

ORU will generally follow the guidelines set forth by the National Association of Foreign Student Affairs when transferring foreign academic credit. The amount of credit granted may vary at the discretion of the degree-granting dean. An official final transcript from the foreign school with an original transcript, an English translation and course descriptions must be submitted for evaluation in order to transfer credit.

Transfer Petition Procedure

The procedure for transferring a course accepted as Elective 999 (General Elective) is as follows:

  • Obtain a Petition to Transfer Course form from the Registrar lobby or see our online petition link below
  • Fill out the form completely
  • Get a catalog description of the course(s) you want to transfer
  • Attach the course description to the Petition
  • Submit the Petition to your degree-granting dean
  • You will receive a copy detailing the decision of the dean
  • To receive credit for the course(s), the school must be regionally accredited and you must receive a "C" or better grade
  • No remedial courses can be transferred
  • Upon completion of the course(s), the Registrar of the transfer school should send a final official transcript to the Registrar's Office at ORU

Click here for Transfer Petition form