Bachelor of Arts Degree
The Communication Major encourages a whole-life approach to communication. The theory and practice of interpersonal communication skills in the areas of functional intelligence, social decision-making and self-expression are explored with emphasis on the application of theory to life situations. Students in this program acquire skills in applications of organizational communication, including assumptions, processes, roles, relationships and responsibilities. This major purposes to:
- Develop skills in public speaking, problem solving, conference leadership, seminar development, systems analysis, interviewing, listening and in-house communication consulting.
- Provide a base for a broad range of career opportunities in human communication, which focus on human resource development, organizational development, communication management, public relations and sales.
- Prepare students for study in speech communication, interpersonal or organizational communication and human resource development graduate programs.
"I absolutely love the Communications department here at ORU. The professors are so accommodating and always available to students for any questions we may have.
"I love going to classes because I know I will get to see my best friends there, including my professors! I aspire to one day be a wedding and events designer/coordinator and this major has been so helpful. I've learned to become an effective communicator and speaker. I have learned to lead, while teaching others in an organized fashion.
"ORU is such a great place to discover your passions and dreams and be encouraged by those around you. Everyone should come!"
At ORU Communication Majors will experience
- An in-depth analysis of important interpersonal relationships (family, dating relationships, marriage, friendships) and Christian guidelines for how to develop and improve these relationships.
- Hands-on training in conducting interviews.
- Problem solving group activities.
- Seminar planning experiences.
- Community service activities.
- Public speaking experiences.
- Portfolio creation to be used for future job searches.
- Internship experiences.
With a Communication degree you can look forward to a career as a:
- Human resource professional
- Public relations officer
- Event planner
- Corporate trainer
- Communication consultant
- Communication educator
- Political campaign manager
- Fund raising coordinator for profit and nonprofit organization
- Pastor and ministry coordinator
- Wedding planner
- Missions coordinator
- Motivational speaker
What Do You Have To Look Forward To?
Exploring perception and experiences, realities and space, messages and symbols and verbal and non-verbal cues as they relate to effective communication. Experience a hands-on project of creating a needs assessment and serving as a communication consultant to a local organization. Creating an extensive plan for facilitating a conference/event.
Course Offerings Include
- Interpersonal Communication
- Advanced Public Speaking
- Argumentation and Persuasion
- Communication Theory
- Organizational Communication
- Conference Leadership and Event Planning
- Business and Professional Speech
- Gender and Family Communication
- Training and Development
- Intercultural Communication
Student Societies, Clubs and Extracurricular Opportunities
- Society for Human Resource Management
- American Society for Training and Development
- National Communication Association
- Debate and Forensics team
Current degree plan for this major is available for download.
Communication and Media Department