Bachelor of Music Education Degree
The Music Department at ORU places a strong emphasis on imparting music's past, present and future prospects to its students within a Christian, charismatic environment. As part of the ongoing process to provide a comprehensive undergraduate foundation in music, the music department purposes to:
- Provide opportunities for students to develop their music capabilities and interests through the use of music as a socializing force, as an aid to compassionate understanding of themselves and their environment and as an avenue of self-expression
- Stimulate an appreciation and love for music through the study of its various disciplines
- Develop techniques for mature evaluation of musical standard
"I decided to be a Music Ed major because I love children and music, and it just seemed like there was no question as to whether or not it’d be a career worth pursuing.
"What I enjoy most about Music Education is working with my fellow Music Ed students, especially the late night study and early morning cram rehearsal sessions.
"What I like most about ORU would have to be the people. It’s obvious that God has handpicked everyone on this campus and we are all here with a divine purpose."
Music Education Major
Students seeking licensure to teach at the K-12 levels must complete the music education major, which leads to standard certification. Students interested in a teaching license should work closely with the advisor in the major department.
Students in the Music Education major choose a concentration in either vocal (MUEV) or instrumental (MUEI) music. Students may earn licensure in a second subject/content area or may earn both vocal and instrumental licensure. Students interested in completing coursework toward additional licensing should consult with the music education coordinator and the advisor in the second subject area.
In addition to cultivating their selected musical concentration, music education majors will also develop skills to:
- Effectively manage a classroom for practical application
- Enhance the physiological and cognitive development of the K-12 learner
- Develop appropriate teaching, diagnostic and rehearsal techniques
Music majors must demonstrate continuous growth in ability to perform on a major instrument. Recitals are regularly presented, affording students opportunities to appear as soloists. As with all ORU seniors, music majors are required to prepare a culminating activity: a recital, a project or a paper. This activity will be selected with the direction of their advisor according to the specific music program enrolled.
Student Societies, Clubs and Extracurricular opportunities
Collegiate Music Educators National Conference (CMENC)
CMENC is an organization that focuses on music education but is open to all music majors. It sponsors many of the music activities that occur on and off campus and is a great networking tool for any person who desires a career in music.
Music Therapy Club
With a degree from the ORU Music Department you will be equipped for teaching in public and private schools, teaching in private studios, performing in professional music organizations, working in related music fields and church ministries. Additionally you will acquire an adequate background for further study in graduate schools.
- Music Seminar
- Music Theory
- Guitar Proficiency
- Applied Music: Voice
- Vocal Concentration
- Diction for Singers
- Vocal Pedagogy and Repertoire
- Class Voice
- Sight Singing and Ear Training
- Applied Music: Piano
- Piano Proficiency
- Applied Music: Secondary Piano
- Applied Music: Primary Orchestral Instrument
- Advanced String Methods
- Woodwind Methods
- Brass and Percussion Methods
- Performance Ensembles
- Introduction to Music Production
- Professional Education Courses
Admission to the music program requires a separate application with the Music Department and an audition. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance to the university by the Admissions Office; they will be notified of acceptance as a music major by the Music Department. Download a copy of the music major application here.