Wilson Celebrates 100 Days
Wilson Celebrates 100 days as ORU President
Oral Roberts University President Dr. William M. Wilson is celebrating his first 100 days in office Monday, Sept. 9, 2013. The celebration comes days before Wilson will be inaugurated as the university’s fourth president.
“These first 100 days at ORU have been informative and full of activity,” said Wilson. “Lisa and I have enjoyed meeting the university’s amazing students, faculty and staff through our listening tour and are thankful to the Tulsa community for making us feel welcome. One thing is certain after these first days in office, ORU’s future is going to be exciting.”
On his first official day as President, Wilson announced the formation of the Presidential Task Force on the Globalization of ORU. The task force includes influential leaders from within the ORU community and individuals with unique perspectives from outside the campus. The task force is working as an exploratory think tank for examining ways to fulfill the global mandate of the university by expanding access to ORU’s whole person education for students worldwide. Initial plans have been developed including increased recruitment from abroad, accelerated expansion of distance learning, partnerships with others in a process that will be termed Collaborative Access Education, increased learning opportunities for ORU’s present student body and ultimately the planting of ORU on every inhabited continent by 2025. The globalization task force is scheduled to meet again in October.
Wilson’s listening tour spanned his first 100 days to include all staff and faculty groups within the university. He also worked to facilitate ways to increase alumni input will in the future.
Administrative changes have included the announcement of Neal Stenzel as CFO and Executive Vice President for the university and the official formation of a President’s Cabinet to increase the number of administrators involved in decision making. A Provost search committee was also formed and has conducted its first official meeting. It is anticipated that a new Provost for the university will be selected this fall.
Several other practical changes have been initiated and completed as a result of input from students and staff during the President’s listening tour.
- The campus wireless network was upgraded, significantly increasing bandwidth.
- The ORU Aerobics Center installed brand new cardio equipment.
- The dormitory heating systems were upgraded allowing them to switch from air conditioning to heat in a few hours.
- Food options on campus were increased by the installation of a new chef’s station in the cafeteria, increased hours of operation for the campus’ Chick-fil-A and optional prices at other outlets. A new Student Food Committee has been formed to meet with food services on a regular basis. In addition, comment and answer boards have been added to the dining hall for student comments/questions.
- A new online room reservation system was purchased, eliminating paper forms.
- Dormitories received more than 500 extra-long mattresses. In the future all mattress ordered will be extra-long.
- The staff parking lot was resurfaced and approximately 60 new parking spaces were added.
“World Impact with Dr. Billy Wilson” has been successfully transitioned as a ministry of ORU and was launched on GEB America in July. The program continues to reach into more than 150 nations around the world. Empowered21 has also successfully transitioned as a service outreach of ORU. Plans for the next Empowered21 Global Congress are set for May 18-24, 2015 and the next Empowered21 large regional event will be the Empowered21 All Japan Conference to be held October 11-14, 2013 in Kyoto, Japan.
Wilson was recently elected to the Pentecostal World Fellowship Executive Committee during the Pentecostal World Conference in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia held August 27-30, 2013. Wilson is the only United States representative on this committee.
Wilson’s inauguration ceremony will occur on Friday, Sept. 20 at 1:00 p.m. in the ORU Mabee Center. The public is invited and welcome.