ORU Honors Reception, Chapel focuses on outstanding academic achievement
By Natasha Mitchell ('94)
Oral Roberts University Provost Ralph Fagin will be the keynote speaker at 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 3 at the ORU Honors Reception on the 60th floor at CityPlex Towers. The reception is by invitation only with students, faculty and their families.
"These events are opportunities to recognize the outstanding achievements of deserving individuals and to celebrate the ORU process of building spirit-empowered leaders to impact their world," Fagin said.
The ORU administration will be on hand to present the following awards to students and faculty: student/faculty awards for Outstanding Academic Achievement in Major/Program and faculty awards for Outstanding Service for the College and Scholar of the Year. Also recognized at the reception are students named as Who's Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges as well as Alpha Lambda Delta, Senior Awards.
The Honor's Chapel, scheduled for 11 a.m. Wednesday, April 4, is an abbreviated version of the Honors Reception held on the previous evening. ORU President Mark Rutland will recognize the Most Outstanding Student Awards recipients and the Most Outstanding Faculty Member for each college. Each student and faculty recipient will receive an ORU leather portfolio as a gift.
Also at the Honors Chapel, the Scholar of the Year for faculty and the Overcomer of the Year Award (to be awarded to a student) will be announced. The faculty member recognized as the most outstanding at the university will receive the Harold and Edna Paul Award and a monetary gift. The faculty member named as Scholar of the Year will also receive a monetary gift. The student recipient named as Overcomer of the Year is awarded a plaque and a leather portfolio.
The following students will be recognized at the Honor's Chapel:
- Jordan Bracht, College of Arts and Cultural Studies
- Monica Hostetler, College of Business (Undergraduate)
- Rebekah Cole, College of Business (Graduate)
- Laura Egstad, College of Education (Undergraduate)
- JoAnn Meachum, College of Education (Graduate)
- Matthew Ortiz, College of Nursing
- Kristina Simberg, College of Science and Engineering
- Kyle Gibson, College of Theology and Ministry (Undergraduate)
- Glenn Clarkson, College of Theology and Ministry (Graduate)
The following faculty members will be recognized at Honor's Chapel:
- Denise Miller, M.A., College of Arts and Cultural Studies
- Terry Unruh, M.B.A., C.P.A., College of Business
- Jean Mosley, Ph.D., College of Education
- Audrey Thompson, Ph.D., College of Nursing
- Sarah Myer, Ph.D., College of Science and Engineering
- Bill Buker, Ph.D., College of Theology and Ministry