Homecoming 2013 is Feb. 1 & 2
Breaking news: The dedication of the Armand Hammer Alumni-Student Center will take place at 11 a.m. on Feb. 1 in Christ's Chapel. A ribbon cutting on the west side of the Hammer Center is scheduled immediately after chapel (about 12:15 p.m.).
And more news: ORU Baseball is hosting an Open House on Saturday, Feb. 2, from 1 to 3 p.m. at J. L. Johnson Stadium. Come watch an intrasquad scrimmage and select your seats for the 2013 season, which begins on Friday, Feb. 15.
Other recent Homecoming updates:
Larry Wayne Morbitt, a 1974 ORU graduate, will be our guest vocalist at the Alumni Banquet on Feb. 2. Most recently, Larry played the part of Ubaldo Piangi in the Las Vegas production of The Phantom of the Opera, known as Phantom: the Las Vegas Spectacular.
We've changed the location of two events. The Feb. 1 Legal Professionals Dinner will be held on the Mabee Center Mezzanine. The Past and Present Alumni Board Members Breakfast will be held in the Fireside Room on Feb. 2.
Stephen Mansfield will be our special speaker at Vespers on Friday night. He is a 1981 graduate who will also be receiving the Alumnus of the Year award for Distinguished Service to the Community during the Alumni Banquet on Saturday night. Vespers will be held in Christ's Chapel, featuring worship leaders Don Moen and Glenn Packiam. And after the service, we're having a reception in the lobby; that will be a wonderful time to visit with old friends. Alumni Board member Carol (Burton-77) McLeod is in charge of organizing the Vespers service, and this is what she has to say about it:
"ORU is a place where students from every generation have heard God's voice ... and most of us heard it during worship experiences or while the Word was being taught. ORU is a place where we learned to believe in--and for--miracles! ORU Homecoming Vespers will stir up the fire within you once again ... we really do expect miracles! Alumni from every decade will be there to pray for you and to stand with you in believing for a miracle!"
Alumni who graduated between 2000 and 2012 will share a reunion dinner on Friday night in the Hammer Center's Alumni Room, located on the second floor. Hannah Luce, a 2011 graduate, will be the guest speaker. Hannah is the daughter of Ron '83 (ORU Trustee) and Katie '84 Luce. She was the sole survivor of last spring's tragic plane crash.
On Saturday morning, Legacy Parents will meet in this new room for breakfast; Board Chair Mart Green will be the special speaker.
The 40-year+ Pioneers--alumni who were at ORU between 1965 and 1973--will enjoy a reception and reunion dinner on Feb. 1 in the newly renovated Stovall Administrative Center lobby. The Class of 1973 is hosting an all-alumni Open House at the Prayer Tower on Friday morning. Alumni in the 40+ group are also invited to get together for lunch at Goldie's (51st and Lewis) at 1:30 p.m. on Friday, shortly after the Alumni-Student Center grand opening/ribbon cutting.
The recipients of the 2013 "Alumnus of the Year" awards are: Jim and Tamara Graff, Distinguished Service to God; Stephen Mansfield, Distinguished Service to the Community; and Gordon and Linda Helm, Distinguished Service to the Alma Mater. Join us in honoring them at the Alumni Homecoming Banquet on Feb. 2.
The Class of 1983 Reunion will feature guest speaker Ron Luce and special music by Jennifer (Votaw) Crow. Something else that will be fun: SPEED SOCIALIZING GAMES! Reunion organizers Jeff and Gloria Smith promise that "you will catch up with your 1983 classmates faster than ever before!"
The Alumni Business Showcase is another new event. The tagline is: "Network with alumni, showcase your organization, hire students." It will take place Friday, Feb. 1 from 9 to 10:55 a.m. and 1:30 to 3 p.m. in Christ's Chapel lobby.
If you can come to Tulsa a little bit early, get tickets for the Golden Eagle women's and men's basketball games on Thursday, Jan. 31. The teams from Nicholls State (La.) will be in town. The women's game starts at 5 p.m.; the men play at 7:30 p.m.
The Alumni Association Board of Directors will welcome new members during their biannual meeting, Jan. 31-Feb. 1.
Registration is closed as of Jan. 27. However, basketball tickets for the men's and women's games are still available; go to www.ORUHomecoming2013.com to buy them. You are also welcome to attend the many free Homecoming events. Go to www.alumni.oru.edu and click on the Homecoming 2013 Event List link.
Just as a reminder, here are the events we have planned:
Updated January 29:
- Armand Hammer Alumni-Student Center Dedication and Open House. Dedication takes place in Christ's Chapel at 11 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 1, with a ribbon cutting on the west side of the Hammer Center at about 12:15 p.m. Open House is on Feb. 1, 1:00-4:30 p.m. and Feb. 2, 9:30-4:00 p.m. Tours--both formal and self-guided--will be offered.
- ORU Baseball Open House (J. L. Johnson Stadium)
- College of Education Professional Development Event (CityPlex Towers, East Auditorium)
- Homecoming Chapel (Christ's Chapel)
- College of Business Power Lunch (Trustees Dining Room)
- Anna Vaughn College of Nursing Reception (GC 3C03)
- Prayer Tower Open House (additional remodeling has been done). This event is sponsored by the Class of 1973.
- Departmental open houses and receptions: History/Humanities/Government, English and Modern Languages, Music, Biology and Chemistry, College of Business, Engineering/Computer Science/Physics/Math
- 40-year+ Pioneers lunch at Goldie's (51st & Lewis)
- Alumni Class Visitation (see the list of classes on the alumni homepage)
- Freshman Honors Seminar (GC 4112)
- College of Education "Reception & Remodel Tour" of the Curriculum Media Center (You will be amazed at the changes!) (LRC 5)
- Alumni Business Showcase (see description above) (Christ's Chapel Lobby)
- 40-year+ Pioneers Reception and Reunion Dinner: 1965-73 alumni are welcome. Reunion Hosts: Chris and Linda Busch. (Stovall Lobby)
- Class of 1983 Reunion Dinner, hosted by Jeff and Gloria Smith. Guest Speaker: Ron Luce. Special Music: Jennifer Crow. (Trustees Dining Room)
- Class of 1993 Reunion Dinner (J. L. Johnson Stadium Grand Slam Room)
- Classes of 2000 through 2012 Reunion Dinner. Special speaker: Hannah Luce '11 (Hammer Center Alumni Room)
- Legal Professionals Dinner (Mabee Mezzanine)
- Health Professionals Dinner (Skyline 60, CityPlex Towers)
- Vespers, featuring Stephen Mansfield and worship leaders Don Moen and Glenn Packiam (Christ's Chapel)
- ORU Missions Alumni Reunion (Zoppelt 103)
- Women's RA Alumni Tea (Fireside Room)
- Grad Theology Luncheon (Trustees Dining Room)
- Past and Present Alumni Board Member Breakfast (Fireside Room)
- Legacy Parent Breakfast. Guest speaker: Board Chair Mart Green (Hammer Center Alumni Room)
- Kids' Olympics (ages 4-13) (Aerobics Center)
- Third annual 5K Run (You can do it!)
- Alumni-Faculty Basketball and Volleyball Games (Aerobics Center)
- ORU Update with Dr. Mark Rutland and Mart Green (Zoppelt)
- Women's Luncheon with Lynette (Troyer) Lewis (Skyline 60, CityPlex Towers)
- Advisory Board/Alumni Council meetings: Engineering, Biology/Chemistry
- Student Association Open House in their new offices (Hammer Center, 1st floor)
- Golden Eagle men's and women's basketball vs. Southeastern Louisiana (Mabee Center)
- Alumni Homecoming Banquet. Vocalist: Larry Wayne Morbitt (Student Cafeteria)
- Alumnus of the Year awards (see names of award winners, above)
- Post-game Reception (Mabee Center court)
We'll see you soon!