Student Employment

Work Study

Work Study is a work program for college students. The purpose of the program is two-fold: 

  • To help full-time undergraduate and graduate students meet their education expenses through employment, and 
  • To compliment and reinforce the student's educational or career goals through work experience.

There are two types of work study available: Federal Work Study and ORU Work Study

Federal Work Study (FWS) is awarded by Financial Aid as part of the financial aid package for undergraduate students. To be eligible you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and mail it as instructed. This will result in a Student Aid Report (SAR). From this information an award letter will be prepared listing the amounts and types of financial aid you are eligible to receive. The student then works with his or her financial aid specialist evaluating all his financial aid opportunities. If Federal Work Study is awarded as part of the financial aid package, you are eligible for FWS employment opportunities. This does not guarantee employment, however. All FWS recipients compete for available positions.

ORU Work Study is available to any student who is not eligible for FWS, however, the numbers of jobs are limited. ORU Work Study is not Federally funded and is considered "accountable" income when filling out the FAFSA for the following year.

The maximum amount that may be earned for Federal Work-Study or ORU Work-Study is $2,500 ($1,250 for Fall semester and $1,250 for Spring semester). In regard to Federal Work Study, the actual dollar amount of an award is determined by several factors to include your total financial need and deficit of other financial aid awards, scholarships, etc.

You will receive this money directly in a bi-weekly paycheck based on the number of hours you work. Your hourly wages will be at least minimum wage. There is no FICA withholding for full-time students, but all work study wages are subject to federal and state income tax. The student's work study earnings do not count directly to his/her financial aid for payment of charges.

Nearly every department on the ORU campus employs student workers. Some of these include clerical, lab assistants, music, tutorial, maintenance, computers, electronics and customer service. Opportunities also exist in community service areas assisting with the elderly, achievement of literacy and other programs. These jobs may be in locations on campus or off campus.

Students may work an average of 11 hours per week when classes are in session and up to 40 hours per week during semester breaks provided that you have not exceeded allowable earnings up to that point in time. Students and their supervisors work together in determining the student's work schedule, to ensure that the supervisor's needs and demands of the student's class schedule are met.

On-campus jobs are posted online. An application is submitted by the student to the department posting the job opening.

Students receiving Federal Financial Aid are randomly chosen by the US Department of Education for a process called verification. Additional IRS information is required of the student or his/her parents. The verification process must be completed before a student may work. There are no exceptions.

When you have been accepted for any on-campus job, you will be required by the Student Employment Office to have the original documents that establish identity and employment eligibility. This is a Federal requirement.
The most commonly used documents are a social security card, or a birth certificate, or a U.S. passport in addition to a photo ID.

International students are required to have a social security card in addition to their INS documents.