Spirit Team 2015-2016
The Spirit Program at ORU is a student athletic program consisting of a co-ed cheer team, our mascot, ELI the Golden Eagle and an all-female dance team. Hard work, dedication and excellence are characteristics of our program. Members are expected to have a good attitude, strong work ethic and the ability to adapt and excel in various situations.
The primary purpose of the Spirit Program is to support ORU athletics through:
- Leading the crowd in cheers
- Entertaining the crowd during performances
- Enhancing school spirit
In addition to performing at home volleyball, soccer and basketball games, the Spirit Program maintains a travel schedule supporting the team and competing. Each summer, Spirit Program members are back on campus working hard before the start of fall classes preparing to travel to a collegiate summer camp to sharpen their skills, learn new routines as well as compete. In March the team travels to the Summit Tournament to support our athletic teams as they vie for a spot in the NCAA tournament. Annually, members of the team are off to Florida to compete in a national championship.
- 2015 Bronze Bid to the 2016 NCA College Nationals, NCA Camp
- 2015: All American Mascot award winner
- 2014: Bronze Bid to the 2015 NCA College Nationals, NCA Cheer Camp
- 2013: Gold Bid to the 2014 NCA College Nationals, NCA Cheer Camp
- 2013: Most improved mascot, NCA Cheer Camp
- 2013: Third overall for game day routine, NCA Cheer Camp
- 2013: First place D1 game day routine, NCA Cheer Camp
- 2013: First Place D1rally routine, NCA Cheer Camp
- 2013: Fourth Place in NCA Collegiate National Championships
- 2012: First Place Rally Routine, NCA Cheer Camp
- 2012: Silver bid to the 2013 NCA College Nationals, NCA Cheer Camp
- 2011: Third Place in NCA Collegiate National Championships
- 2010: First Place in Rally Routine, NCA Cheer Camp
- 2010: Bronze bid to 2011 NCA College Nationals
- 2010: Two dancers chosen to compete All-American
- 2009: First Place in Sideline Routine, UCA Cheer Camp
- 2009: Second Place in Fight Song Routine, UCA Cheer Camp
- 2009: Most Collegiate Co-ed Squad, UCA Cheer Camp
- 2008: Partial bid to 2009 NCA College Nationals
- 2008: Second place in Rally Routine, NCA Cheer Camp
- 2008: Mascot--Best All Around Mascot, Most Collegiate and All American
- 2008-2009: Eighth Place, NCA College Nationals
- 2007-2008: Third Place , NCA College Nationals
Participation in the Spirit Program provides team members with opportunities to:
- Develop academically
- Advance their understanding of God's plan for their lives
- Develop leadership skills
- Acquire practical skills used to adapt and respond in situations involving conflict/frustration and disagreement
- Expand decision making skills
- Enhance time management skills
- Develop physically disciplined lifestyles
Spirit Program members apply themselves wholeheartedly to their intellectual pursuits, to assist in this endeavor Oral Roberts University has a scholarship program for members of the Spirit Program based on different eligibility requirements.
The Spirit Program looks for opportunities each semester to give back to its community. In addition to their game and practice schedules, Spirit Program members participate in various community outreach activities each year. The Bring Good Cheer Toy Drive was established in 2008 by the ORU Spirit squads. Networking with ORU Student Association and The Salvation Army, the Spirit team members collected approximately 1,450 toys to distribute to children in the Tulsa area this year. Thank you to all those who contributed.
For more information about becoming part of ORU's Spirit Team, please contact 918.495.6490.