Master of Arts (Professional Degrees)
MASTER OF ARTS IN PROFESSIONAL COUNSELING
The Master of Arts in Professional Counseling program (MAPC) is designed to prepare students for professional licensure by qualifying them for the specialized ministry of counseling in the contexts of clinical settings, the local church, and community or faith-based agencies. The program enables students to thoughtfully integrate and ethically implement the most effective models and theories of counseling, informed by a theologically reflective process and sensitivity to the Holy Spirit's activity. Since helping hurting people is an essential element of the Gospel, this program seeks to recruit a diverse student body and equip them to respond therapeutically to the challenges and opportunities of facilitating healing and wholeness within a global community. The MAPC degree offers three primary tracks toward state licensure with an additional three concentrations possible. For more information, click here.
MASTER OF ARTS IN MISSIONS
The Master of Arts in Missions is a specialized degree program designed to train competent professionals to carry the healing Gospel "where God's light is seen dim, where His voice is heard small, where His healing power is not known, even to the uttermost bounds of the earth." The program presents a well-rounded philosophy of missions with emphases on biblical principles, the ministry of healing, worldwide evangelism, church planting and methods of cross-cultural communication. It prepares students for effective cross-cultural ministry in foreign and home missions organizations, as well as other related ministries.
The Master of Arts in Missions degree program aims to:
- Acquaint students with the history and development of the worldwide Christian missionary experience.
- Foster an awareness of the basics of missionary life and practice.
- Analyze historic and current trends in the globalization of cross-cultural evangelism and church planting.
- Equip students for ministry in cross-cultural contexts in order to provide leadership for motivating, mobilizing and training great commission Christians.
- Acquaint students with innovative language learning methods and techniques.
- Provide guided internship opportunities for the integration and application of missiological theory and practice in intercultural evangelism and church planting.
MASTER OF ARTS IN PRACTICAL THEOLOGY
The Master of Arts in Practical Theology is designed to equip graduates for effective
ministry in churches, parachurch organizations and other ministry contexts. The degree
provides a foundation in ministerial theory and practice that will assist students
to pursue ministry vocations. It seeks to develop the essential knowledge and skills
for lay positions in the church or specialized professions in both church and community.
The Master of Arts in Practical Theology degree program aims to:
- Prepare candidates with a foundational knowledge of the content of Scripture within its cultural and historical context.
- Prepare students to increase competence and understanding in the Word of God by utilizing basic methods of biblical interpretation.
- Prepare students to effectively communicate the message of Christianity in various cultural contexts.
- Integrate theological reflection and practice through internship opportunities.
MASTER OF ARTS IN PRACTICAL THEOLOGY/TEACHING MINISTRIES CONCENTRATION
This program equips graduates for teaching ministries in churches, Bible institutes, para-church organizations, and other ministry settings. The concentration provides a foundation in educational theory and practice that will assist students to pursue teaching vocations or doctoral studies. It seeks to develop the essential knowledge and skills for classroom methodology and effective application of educational theory.
In addition to a strong biblical and theological foundation, the curriculum is flexible enough to meet the demands of both professional and lay positions. The concentration provides opportunity for the expression of individual interests through specialized research and projects. The practicum will encourage students to seek both national and international opportunities for supervised practice.
MASTER OF ARTS IN PRACTICAL THEOLOGY/URBAN MINISTRY CONCENTRATION
This specialized program prepares students for effective ministry in urban contexts.
Traditionally, such contexts were seen as only inner city environments; however, an
urban ministry setting today is one that also takes place in suburban and rural locates.
It is comprised of the complex issues and problems associated with a diversity of
race, income, culture, and language in multi-ethnic and multi-cultural communities
throughout the world.
MPT/Urban Ministry Concentration - Degree Plan
MPT/Urban Ministry Fact Sheet
Michael Thomas, Graduate Theology Enrollment Counselor
Graduate School of Theology and Ministry
Phone: 918.495.6618 | Toll free: 800.643.7976 x2