Master of Arts in Practical Theology
Master of Arts in Practical Theology
The Master of Arts in Practical Theology is designed to equip graduates for effective
ministry in churches, parachurch organizations and other ministry contexts. The degree
provides a foundation in ministerial theory and practice that will assist students
to pursue ministry vocations. It seeks to develop the essential knowledge and skills
for lay positions in the church or specialized professions in both church and community.
This degree program prepares leaders by increasing their competence in and understanding of the Word of God through hermeneutical study skills, and by developing a theological framework for their understanding of the teaching of Scripture and for the practices of ministry. In additional to a strong biblical and theological foundation, the curriculum is flexible enough to meet the demands of both professional and lay positions.
The degree program is structured to provide a strong biblical/theological/practical ministry foundation for leadership and includes opportunities for students to structure their own program to meet perceived needs in ministry. The practicum will provide supervised practice in church or community contexts that that encourages the integration of biblical and theological understanding with practical ministry strategies.
The twelve semester hours of undesignated electives provide opportunity for the development of individual interests through course work, and specialized research and projects. Because ORU also has graduate programs in education and business, students may choose to use a limited number of these elective hours for cross-disciplinary training.
The Master of Arts in Practical Theology degree program aims to:
- Prepare candidates with a foundational knowledge of the content of Scripture within its cultural and historical context.
- Prepare students to increase competence and understanding in the Word of God by utilizing basic methods of biblical interpretation.
- Provide a basic knowledge of theology and Christian doctrines.
- Provide a basic knowledge of the history of Christianity.
- Prepare students to effectively communicate the message of Christianity in various cultural contexts.
- Integrate theological reflection and practice through internship opportunities.
- Promote a biblical/theological understanding of the person, work and ministry of the Holy Spirit.
- Enable students to articulate clearly their ministry/professional calling.
- Enable students to integrate biblical and theological understanding with practical ministry strategies.
Master of Arts in Practical Theology/Teaching Ministries Concentration
This program equips graduates for teaching ministries in churches, Bible institutes, para-church organizations, and other ministry settings. The concentration provides a foundation in educational theory and practice that will assist students to pursue teaching vocations or doctoral studies. It seeks to develop the essential knowledge and skills for classroom methodology and effective application of educational theory.
In addition to a strong biblical and theological foundation, the curriculum is flexible enough to meet the demands of both professional and lay positions. The concentration provides opportunity for the expression of individual interests through specialized research and projects. The practicum will encourage students to seek both national and international opportunities for supervised practice.
Master of Arts in Practical Theology/Urban Ministry Concentration
This specialized program prepares students for effective ministry in urban contexts.
Traditionally, such contexts were seen as only inner city environments; however, an
urban ministry setting today is one that also takes place in suburban and rural locates.
It is comprised of the complex issues and problems associated with a diversity of
race, income, culture, and language in multi-ethnic and multi-cultural communities
throughout the world.
MPT/Urban Ministry Concentration - Degree Plan
Michael Thomas, Graduate Theology Enrollment Counselor
Graduate School of Theology and Ministry
Phone: 918.495.6618 | Toll free: 800.643.7976 x2