Bachelor of Science Degree
The worship arts major will prepare today's students to be worship leaders with an emphasis on the spiritual aspect through relevant intensive studies in communication arts, drama, music theory and technology. Students have the option of choosing from five different concentrations: theology, music production, theatre, dance, and ethnomusicology. An audition is required for admittance into the program. Both vocalists and instrumentalists are welcome to apply.
At ORU Worship Arts Majors will experience
|"I love the Worship Arts Major because it challenges those who have been called into
worship ministry and brings out the best in them. The teachers and staff in the ORU
Music Department have been key contributors to my success. They have provided an encouraging
and stimulating learning atmosphere. I am also grateful for the fact ORU supplies
the students with a limitless amount of opportunities to grow spiritual."
- Song writing/arranging and lead chart notation
- Music technology
- Keyboard training and improvisation
- The design and function of the worship service
- Audio production and voice-overs
- Opportunities to act and playwrite
- Direct a theatre production
- Strengthen music theory, harmony and sight singing
- Participate in a practicum experience in a local church
- Attend seminars from alumni and notable guest artists from around the world
With a worship arts degree you can look forward to a career in leadership in the church in music and drama, or as a minister, missionary, artist or songwriter.
What Do You Have To Look Forward To?
Developing in the art of leading worship with some of the most amazing students and faculty on this campus, students who have a heart for God and a passion to serve Him through worship.
Course Offerings Include
- Introduction to Music Production
- The Worship Service: Design and Function
- Worship Internship
- Church Music Administration
- Music and Modern Worship
- Music Theory
- Sight Singing and Ear Training
- Contemporary Music Theory/Lead Chart Notation
- Songwriting and Arranging
- Keyboard Skills
- Guitar Skills
- Contemporary Music Ministry Ensemble
- Playwriting for the Church
- Technical Production
- Audio Production
- Biblical Foundations of Worship and Prophetic Leadership
Admission to the worship arts program requires a separate application with the Music Department and an audition. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance to the university by the Admissions Office; they will be notified of acceptance as a worship arts major by the Music Department. Download a copy of the worship arts application here.