Bachelor of Arts Degree
The theatre arts major provides a study of acting that stimulates the actor's imagination, develops an analytical approach to creating a character and exposes the student actor to various viewpoints on training and role preparation. The student is introduced to methods of breaking down speeches, scenes and plays into units, sequences and apogees. Through this comparative study, students develop their own acting techniques from a Christian perspective. Students apply their practical analysis skills and stage techniques in a rehearsal and performance of an assigned final recital project.
Talent Scholarships are available to students majoring in Theatre Arts. Students must audition by March 5 to be eligible for scholarships for the Fall semester. If you will be attending a Quest Whole Person Scholarship Day or College Weekend, you can audition there, please click here to request an audition time.
"I am a theater arts major, I choose to be here because I know that my training here
is giving me the tools to do the things I love when I graduate. With the help of my
professors and the challenges they give me, I feel prepared to go out and accomplish
the things I want to do in my future field!"Student: Denise
At ORU Theatre Arts Majors experience
- Many opportunities to act in a variety of stage productions.
- The basic techniques and approaches to the art of acting for the musical theatre with an emphasis on using acting tools to create expression through song.
- Scenery construction with instruction and practice in stagecraft and lighting coordinated with university theatre productions.
- Directing scenes for presentation to live audiences.
- Introduction to the process of costume design placing special emphasis on applying the principles of design to improving the student's appearance and self-image by relating these things to a relationship with God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.
- Theatrical scene design from theory to practice.
- A study of the methods and materials utilized in stage makeup utilizing "hands on" makeup projects to teach various theatrical styles with special emphasis on skin care and enhancing self-image as it relates to the student's identity in Christ.
With a degree in theatre arts possible career paths include:
- Production assistant
- Script reader
- Production designer
- Stage manager
What Do You Have To Look Forward To?
A myriad of opportunities awaits you in this major...acting, directing, set building, costume designing, stage management as well as a variety of seminar experiences with talented theatre professionals.
Theatre program auditions are held on Friday afternoons of College Weekend in November and March.
Students interested in theatre scholarships are asked to prepare one 90 second monologue or provide a design portfolio, if interested in the theatre technology areas. Both auditions and portfolio reviews will be followed by an with an interview with the ORU theatre faculty. To schedule and audition, please complete the Request to Audition for a Talent Scholarship Form.
For musical theatre, please provide one song from the musical theatre repertoire. Auditions for the musical theatre program are scheduled via the ORU Music Department.
Student Societies, Clubs and Extracurricular opportunities:
Alpha Psi Omega
Course Offerings Include
- Introduction to Theatre
- Fundamentals of Acting
- Advanced Acting
- Technical Production
- Acting Styles
- Acting for Musical Theatre
- Costume Design
- Theatrical Design
- Theatrical Lighting Design and Technology
- Theatrical Scene Design
Current degree plan for this major is available for download.
Director of Theatre