Bachelor of Arts Degree
The art education major at ORU is offered in cooperation with the ORU College of Education. In the ARTE program students participate in both art and education courses that provide the preparation for entry into the education profession at the K-12 level. Instruction includes artistic, educational and design skills demanded by contemporary society and technology, while maintaining a respect for the value of tradition. Additionally, a large network of successful alumni provides an opportunity to enhance education through experiences gained in the professional environment. Upon completion of the ARTE program students are eligible to receive their license to teach in the state of Oklahoma.
ART AND DESIGN TECHNOLOGY REQUIREMENT
Art Education (ARTE), Graphic Design (GRD) and Studio Art (STA) majors have a Design Technology Requirement, applicable prior to beginning ART 107 Digital Fundamentals. The requirement for Graphic Design majors is necessary for all remaining design courses. For more information, please review the specifications.
ORU offers several scholarships for current students. Please visit Financial Assistance site for more information. A scholarship of particular interest to art majors is the Gloria B. Scholarship Fund.
ORU Art Programs Talent Award Scholarships are renewable for up to four years in amounts ranging from $1,000 to $2,000 per year. Eligible applicants must be an incoming freshman or transfer student. Recipients must remain an art education, graphic design or studio art major and maintain a 2.5 GPA. Application Procedure:
- Create a digital portfolio with a minimum of ten (10) examples of your best work. Recommended sites for no-cost portfolio hosting include Carbonmade and Behance.
- Write a letter stating why you want to major in art at ORU. Please mention any awards or honors you have received.
- Complete the online application with a link to your online portfolio site and your letter. Application Deadline is March 1 yearly.
In recognition of scholarship, artistic ability, leadership, and ORU lifestyle commitment, the art program annually honors outstanding students by the presentation of awards for Outstanding Graduating Senior Art Student of the Year given in the following areas: art education, graphic design, and studio art.
The school provides student use of facilities for painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, ceramics, and digital graphic design.
- The Douglass Latta Computer lab with a limited number of Apple® computers and peripherals, including scanners, drawing tablets, digital video and SLR cameras and large format color inkjet printers.
- Three ceramic kilns, glaze room, potters wheels
- Painting and Drawing studio
- Art education classroom
- Etching, relief press and print shop
- Sculpture shop
- Teaching Gallery
- Separate computer lab dedicated to Education majors
With an ARTE degree careers are possible in
- Public schools
- Private schools
- Private educational business
- Agency child care
- Community youth organizations
What Do You Have To Look Forward To?
Being immersed in a combination of art and education classes; expressing your self creatively through both art projects and lesson plan development; impacting the future as a Christian artist and educator.
Course Offerings Include
- Fundamentals of Art
- Art History
- Digital Photography
- Graphic Design
- Web Design
- Elementary and Secondary Art Methods and Evaluation
- Education Seminar
- Student Teaching
Current degree plan for this major is available for download.
Mandel Chenoweth, MTA
Head Art Education Department