BFA in ART: Art Education Specialization
Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree
ORU offers the rare BFA in Art Education in the state of Oklahoma and is one of only a select number of universities that offer the degree in the United States. The Art Education specialization at ORU is offered in cooperation with the ORU College of Education. The degree prepares the student for certification by the state of Oklahoma in K-12 education. It also prepares them for certification testing in other states, if required. Instruction includes artistic, educational and design skills demanded by contemporary society and technology, while maintaining a respect for the value of tradition. Additionally, a large network of successful alumni provides an opportunity to enhance education through experiences gained in the professional environment. The BFA: Art Education is considered a Professional degree and requires a higher concentration of Art courses than a Bachelor of Arts, which requires a larger percent of classes in the general education area. In this way, it provides a greater emphasis on the core of art education and better prepares you for your role as a classroom teacher.
ART AND DESIGN TECHNOLOGY REQUIREMENT
Art Education (ARTE), Graphic Design (GRD) and Studio Art (STA) majors have a Design Technology Requirement, applicable prior to beginning ART 107 Digital Fundamentals. The requirement for Graphic Design majors is necessary for all remaining design courses.
ORU offers several scholarships for current students. Please visit Financial Assistance site for more information. A scholarship of particular interest to art majors is the Gloria B. Scholarship Fund.
ORU Art Programs Talent Award Scholarships are renewable for up to four years in amounts ranging from $1,000 to $2,000 per year. Eligible applicants must be an incoming freshman or transfer student. Recipients must remain an art education, graphic design or studio art major and maintain a 2.5 GPA. Application Procedure:
- Create a digital portfolio with a minimum of ten (10) examples of your best work. Recommended sites for no-cost portfolio hosting include Carbonmade and Behance.
- Write a letter stating why you want to major in art at ORU. Please mention any awards or honors you have received.
- Complete the online application with a link to your online portfolio site and your letter. Application Deadline is March 1 yearly.
In recognition of scholarship, artistic ability, leadership, and ORU lifestyle commitment, the art program annually honors outstanding students by the presentation of awards for Outstanding Graduating Senior Art Student of the Year given in the following areas: BFA in ART: art education, graphic design, and studio art specializations and the BA in Art.
The school provides student use of facilities for painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, ceramics, and digital graphic design.
- The Douglass Latta Computer lab with drawing tablets, video cameras, digital still cameras and lenses, audio-video projection system, a color laser printer and a large format inkjet color printer. Additional adjacent spaces house multiple Computer Numerical Control (CNC) machines, 3D printers, laser and vinyl cutters.
- Three ceramic kilns, glaze room, potters wheels
- Painting and Drawing studio
- Art education classroom
- Etching, relief press and print shop
- Sculpture shop
- Teaching Gallery
- Separate computer lab dedicated to BFA Art Education Specialization majors
With a BFA degree in Art Education Specialization careers are possible in
- Public schools
- Private schools
- Private educational business
- Agency child care
- Community youth organizations
- Art Galleries and Museums
What Do You Have To Look Forward To?
Being immersed in a combination of art and education classes; expressing your self creatively through both art projects and lesson plan development; impacting the future as a Christian artist and educator.
COURSE OFFERINGS INCLUDE
- Fundamentals of Art
- Art History
- Digital Photography
- Graphic Design
- Web Design
- Elementary and Secondary Art Methods and Evaluation
- Education Seminar
- Student Teaching
Current degree plan for this major is available for download.