Bachelor of Science Degree
WHY ORU FOR ADVERTISING?
As a servant leader with skills in marketing, communication and media, you're ready to turn your faith into action. You champion products, nonprofit organizations and ideals. You lead teams and projects to solve complex problems. You motivate companies to embrace ethical business practices. Your mission is to impact the world for Christ.
As an ORU Advertising major, expect to:
- Learn and apply theories in consumer psychology, design, economics, media management and communication
- Concept and design fully integrated campaigns via emerging technologies
- Develop research skills like survey writing and focus group management
- Improve your writing, both technically and creatively
- Customize your experience with professional internships, discipline-based missions trips and special projects
- Gain valuable skills which prepare you for in-demand careers
advertising // digital strategies
As an Advertising Digital Strategies major, you love working with people, brainstorming ideas and putting ideas into motion. You follow trends, engage in social media and encourage others to reach goals. After graduation, you see yourself in the studio developing campaigns, in the boardroom presenting to clients or in the field helping customers.GO TO DEGREE PLAN
advertising // programming & development
As an Advertising Programming & Development major, you enjoy solving complex puzzles using software programs and learning languages including HTML, CSS and Java. You recognize the critical connection between user experience and responsive web design. You enjoy working alone or in teams and thrive in digitally driven environments.GO TO DEGREE PLAN
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs in Advertising and Promotions are growing with positive projections to 2024. Industries with the greatest opportunities are Online Shopping and Direct Marketing, Healthcare, Management and Technical Consulting, Recreational and Spectator Sports, Software, Wireless Telecommunications, Grantmaking and Giving Services and Social Advocacy (BLS, 2014 and Projected 2024 Report).
Careers in Advertising Digital Strategies
Advertising agency account management
Social media management
Customer relationship management and sales
Marketing research and analytics
Careers in Advertising Programming & Development
Advertising and digital agencies
Digital media content development
Mobile applications development
Database systems design
Marketing research and analytics
Advertising majors are required to take at least one internship experience and may elect a second with up to six credit-hours applied to the 128-hour degree program.
Digital Strategies interns choose to work in agencies, corporations, professional sports franchises, management firms, manufacturing, sales, ministries and nonprofit organizations. Programming and Development interns build their skills working in digital media and advertising agencies, web design companies and in corporate, nonprofit and church environments.
These skills are in high demand so many of these internships are paid. In addition to internship, students may also work in paid, campus-based, work-study positions in University Marketing, Online Learning, IT Services, Athletics, Alumni Services, Missions and Student Media.
RIGHT OUT OF COLLEGE
ORU ADVERTISING majors customize their degree programs with internships, specialized training and projects which give them many career options.
Here are a few of our recent ADVERTISING GRADS >>>
JENNIFER JOST, media planner for Target.com, Razorfish, Seattle
MICHAEL GARCIA, start-up founder, Dancing for a Cause (DFC), Dallas
LINDSAY PEPIN-OPHUS, key account manager, Hilti International, New Orleans
JACOB LLITERAS, marketing and recruiting manager, John Christner Trucking, Tulsa
JOHN BRADFORD, creative director, Life Foursquare Church, Angleton, Texas
DANIELLE COY, senior associate, Dell, Oklahoma City
JEFF BARKER, graphic designer, Fast Enterprises, Boise, Idaho
CHRISTINE HOWREY, SEO specialist, ConsumerAffairs.com, Tulsa
National Clubs and Affiliations
- American Advertising Federation collegiate chapter
- ORU Advertising is an official, chartered affiliate of the American Advertising Federation. Under the charter, we host the ORU AD CLUB with membership open to any registered student. The club hosts monthly meetings with professionals. Plus Ad Club members take tours of advertising agencies, media companies and more.
- As part of our affiliation we compete in the American Advertising Federation ADDY awards as well as other national competitions.
- National Student Advertising Competition
- As a second-semester junior or first-semester senior, you are encouraged to apply for ORU's National Student Advertising Competition team! This team is an nine-month intensive campaign experience (and counts six hours to your degree). Students work together as an agency to develop a client campaign for a national brand. In the last few years we've worked with Snapple, Pizza Hut and Mary Kay where the ORU team pitched its campaign plan in front of the national brand and agency executives. We also regularly enter other national advertising competitions.
For Additional Information
Join us on campus, in the classroom or on the campaign team! Just email Advertising
Assistant Professor Cristi Eschler-Freudenrich, firstname.lastname@example.org to request more information.